My name is Rhys. I am a native, British teacher, and I have just finished my Master's degree in teaching English to speakers of other languages, and linguistics.
My degree has helped me to understand many things that make my lessons the most effective they can be. I understand how students learn, what should be learned at each level, how to help students remember, and I know a lot about pronunciation and how the mouth works.
I have taught thousands of classes to groups, individuals, children, adults, and businesses all over the world. I have been lucky enough to work in China, Austria, Italy, Bulgaria, Thailand, and online. My experiences have helped me to be an open-minded and well-liked teacher. In fact, I am still in contact with many of my students.
In addition to my Master's degree, I am also qualified in Trinity College London's CertTESOL, and Cambridge University's CELT-P. I am also TEFL-Q, which means I hold an advanced degree and a recognised high-level TEFL qualification, which is highly respected amongst English teachers and schools. I also plan to either take the DELTA or apply for a PHD in the near future.
My lessons contain real-life English, used in memorable contexts. Many teachers focus on grammar, but I know that fluency (being understood) is just as important, if not more.
I also encourage my students to make mistakes. Mistakes are an important and natural part of learning. After all, isn't that the way you learned your first language?
Manchester Metropolitan University - Manchester, UK
Completed with distinction, waiting for certificate.
2019 - 2019
Whales English - Online
• Exploited and tailored lesson materials to match specific needs for effective one-on-one lessons proven in the production stage, including creating and setting appropriate homework and advising on extracurricular learning through contact with parents. • Broad focus on a range of English skills, predominantly reading, basic sentence structure, and parts of speech.
2018 - 2019
EFL and Business English Teacher
Language Express and Corporate Training Express - Bangkok, Thailand
• Taught adults and professionals both conversational and business English. • Adapted materials and introduced my own curated lesson plans. • A high success rate converting trial students.
2018 - 2018
Chatsworth British Summer School - Sveti Vlas, Bulgaria
• Taught from a coursebook as well as devised my own lessons based on weekly topics. • Wrote bi-weekly reports concerning English levels, behaviour, and work ethic. • Administered placement tests and taught a range of CLIL lessons.
2017 - 2018
Austrian Bilingual Classroom Initiative - Various locations, Austria
• Teach week long English projects at schools throughout Austria over a six month period. • Planning lessons based on a Cambridge/Trinity College London defined criteria. • Regularly observe and am observed by senior teachers and peers. • Occasional involvement in teaching a virtual classroom. • Lesson plans graded by senior teachers and Trinity College London.
2017 - 2017
Bell Beyond English Language Learning - Various locations, Italy
• Taught at several two week summer camps, developing the core skills of students aged eight to thirteen. • Followed and adapted a set programming guide to the needs of each classroom. • Lived with host families, guiding their English language skills as well as developing my own Italian language skills.
2016 - 2016
Worlin Foreign Language School - Shijiazhuang, China
• Developed the English speaking and listening skills of students aged four to 65. • Recruited new students through demo classes. • Represented the company at various schools with Q&A’s and guest lectures. • Developed my own communication and adaptability in a testing environment. • Planned and tailored curriculum-based lessons to the specific needs of each class.
2014 - 2015
Exploding Fish - Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
• Developed the improvisational skills of 40 adults on a weekly basis.
2015 - 2015
Documentary Academy Wales Network - Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
• Trusted to oversee the work of college level students. • Offered advice and considerations, as applicable. • Facilitated networking opportunities. • Helped students to overcome unforeseeable obstacles. • Taught the fundamentals of the equipment and aided their use of editing software.
2009 - 2009
Monnow Primary School - Newport, Wales, UK
• Mentored children and provided assistance with their school work and personal issues. • Developed the communication skills necessary for working with children.